SatVUE - the ideal monitoring solution for a broad range of applications across a broad range of industries.
SatVue, delivers what used to be impossible: accurate, timely, continuous data collection, analysis and control in a smart, tough device which is cost-effective to purchase and run.
Environmental monitoring covers many parameters
If you’re a researcher, state or local government agency or private citizen whose focus is environmental monitoring, you’ll know the huge number of parameters to be measured in water, soil and air - and the cost implications of doing them all regularly.
Many types of environmental monitoring
Environmental monitoring encompasses a wide range of locations, parameters and priorities. Below we confined ourselves to parameters monitored in areas remote from population centres, which fall into 3 broad groups: industrial, natural off-shore assets and on-land assets:
In relation to industrial sites, the relevant parameters to measure include:
- Air quality (especially impact on neighbours)
- Emission levels (specific contaminants)
- Wind speed and direction (transmission of dust or contaminants)
- Industrial outflow (pollutants in pipes or channels, ground water monitoring)
- Water quality monitoring (e.g. outflow from hydro-electric power generation).
For natural off-shore assets like reefs and islands, the parameters of interest might be:
- Currents (speed and direction)
- Tides (heights and variation)
- Tsunami (height and frequency)
- Weather (air temperature, rainfall, hail, humidity, air pressure, wind speed and direction)
- Water quality monitoring (pH, conductivity, dissolved oxygen, salinity or turbidity)
- Vegetation (changes over time)
- Oceans (Carbon Dioxide or Dissolved Oxygen).
For natural on-land assets, the parameters to measure include:
- River flow (water flow, flood and drought levels, flow, depth, velocity)
- River quality (temperature, pH, conductivity, dissolved oxygen, salinity, contaminants, turbidity, micro-organisms)
- Surface water (quality in drinking water catchments)
- Storm water (levels and speed)
- Soil (pH, temperature, chlorides, sulphates, phosphates and other metals, ionising radiation, radioactive substances)
Drawbacks of common environmental monitoring systems
Environmental monitoring is more complex and expensive in remote areas compared to urban ones, especially out in seas or oceans, in deserts, in dense forest or mangroves or in mountainous or snowy areas. In these areas, there are two main systems for environmental monitoring:
- Sending people to site may be possible, but if distance is significant and you must follow the ‘two person policy’ it will be expensive. Monitoring at strictly regular intervals could be tough too, especially in areas of extreme weather like snow or cyclones, or where road access might be uncertain due to flood.
- Using unattended remote devices makes sense, but they must be very robust, powered independently by battery or solar, be reliable over long periods without maintenance, and have alternative means of data transmission if outside 3G or 4G networks.
The smartest environmental monitoring systems for remote sites
- Easy to use – a Plug & Play, off-the-shelf device which is fast to install and economical to run
- Robust – the device can operate continuously in extreme conditions
- Reliable – using satellite remote monitoring from anywhere, regardless of local conditions, topography or 3G/4G network coverage
- Flexible – able to accommodate many and various sensors, regardless of the variety of environmental parameters to measure
- Automated – to transmit data, generate reports and alerts, and trigger actions if key thresholds are reached on site.
SatVUE is designed for practical, everyday use by non-skilled personnel, anywhere in the world:
- Easily re-configured – for different sites or different parameters if organisational or government l requirements change
- Real time – provides immediate access to data and reports via web portal, and ability to adjust the onsite device at any time if conditions so dictate
- Flexible – with a choice of 3 models (for pole, tank or bore) and 2 power sources (solar or battery), based on the same robust technology
- Accessible globally – via a network of global suppliers, you can access SatVUE from anywhere to monitor your mining sites everywhere. Meet our partners.
Remote ground water monitoring is core to mining
Whether you’re mining for metals, minerals, coal, precious stones or other compounds, monitoring your environment before, during and possibly after extraction will be critical to your operation. While there are many parameters to monitor, in the mining industry, groundwater or bore water monitoring is a key one.
If your extraction sites are in remote, inaccessible or fragile locations, you’ll have other hurdles to clear:
- Distance, cost, time and risk of sending your people to for data collection in remote sites
- Extreme conditions (hot, cold, wet, dry, ice or snow) that affect your on-site monitoring devices
- Cost of buying and maintaining custom-made devices,
which will add hefty expenses to your bottom line, even if only one of your sites is remote.
The burden of remote site monitoring in mining
Depending on the type of mine, and your proximity to human population, valued rural production land or sensitive environments, the burden of monitoring required for compliance could be heavy or light, but will include some of the following:
- Groundwater or bore water monitoring – physical levels and quality
- Surface water – physical levels, flow and water quality monitoring
- Evaporation – especially from extraction pans
- Air – dust, quality and presence of gases related to your processes
- Weather – wind speed & direction, rainfall or hail, air temperature, pressure and humidity
For practical reasons, you might also need to monitor flood levels and their impact on access roads for people and vehicles.
Without smart technology, monitoring and controlling them all continuously will be costly.
How to cut the cost and complexity of remote mine site monitoring
Pacific Data Systems developed SatVUE in consultation with mining companies seeking a reliable, cost-effective way to meet their compliance obligations, especially for ground water monitoring..
As a result, SatVUE is a compact off-the shelf, monitoring system that is:
- Easily configured for different sensors or parameters – so you can use one device in many situations or mine sites and benefit from economies of scale
- Plug & Play – so it’s cost-effective to buy and easy and quick to install for non-technical mining personnel
- Automated – to collect and transmit data, generate reports, trigger preset responses or email alerts when key levels are reached on the mine site.
- Rugged – able to withstand extreme conditions on mine sites, so each unit can operate unattended for long periods
- Reliable – with satellite data transmission from any mine location covered by Inmarsat, regardless of local conditions, topography or 3G/4G network coverage.
In addition, SatVUE has practical benefits for everyday use:
- Independent – with solar and battery power for continuous operation with hands-off maintenance
- Real time – so you can gain access to mine site data at any time and respond quickly without sending personnel there
- Flexible – with a choice of models for pole, tank or bore, so you can measure various mine parameters with variations of one device
- Global access – via a network of global suppliers, you can access SatVUE anywhere, to monitor your mining sites everywhere. Meet our partners.
Remote monitoring is vital for Oil & Gas companies
If you’re mining for oil, shale oil, natural gas or coal seam gas, the impost of environmental monitoring to support compliance is great. If your sites are also remote, such as in dense forest, isolated desert or off-shore platforms, the problem is magnified.
- Extreme weather will affect operation and reliability of your remote monitoring devices
- Distance & danger make it costly, especially if you must send two people to site at a time
- The choice of bespoke devices can add to your purchase and maintenance costs.
If you have multiple sites and parameters to measure, remote monitoring might be expensive, yet it can’t be avoided.
Many different parameters to monitor
Depending on the nature of your oil or gas extract, and where the extraction site lies in relation to towns, farmland or sensitive areas, the number of parameters and frequency of monitoring will vary. The variety of parameters to monitor includes:
- Ground water – depletion and contaminants
- Wastewater – level and contaminants
- Surface water – level and contaminants
- Seawater – presence of contaminants
- Air – dust, visibility and presence of gaseous contaminants
- Weather – wind speed and direction, rainfall, air temperature, pressure and humidity
- Tanks – for product (oil) or water (such as wastewater for Coal Seam Gas); both tank levels and flow levels
- Pipeline – pressure, flow and temperature (related to leaks or theft)
- Pumps – pump pressure and corrosion (cathodic protection).
- Failures – leak detection in facilities, storage vessels and pipelines
- Fluid – in containment areas
- Operational parameters – related to shutdown, for instance, in offshore oil rigs.
How to simplify monitoring of remote oil & gas sites
Designed by Pacific Data Systems in response to the needs of mining companies, SatVUE is a robust, Plug & Play device that makes remote monitoring simpler and easier. Able to accommodate a variety of sensors, SatVUE makes remote testing on oil or gas sites or pipelines possible, reliable and cost effective:
- One flexible device – which can be quickly configured with sensors for any of the parameters measured in oil and gas, and reconfigured if internal or external needs change
- Tough, rugged design – with a high Ingress Protection (IP65) assuring continuous operation in hot, cold, wet, dry, dusty or windy conditions, with limited maintenance
- Automated workflows – which are preset to trigger when key levels are met on site, for instance, shutdown of an oil rig under extreme weather conditions
- Independent power – solar or 2 year battery so data collection and analysis are uninterrupted.
In addition, SatVUE has practical features which make it the ideal choice for remote oil or gas extraction or distribution sites, around the globe:
- Satellite communications via Inmarsat’s global IsatDataPro network – ensuring continuous data transmission regardless of weather conditions, 3G/4g coverage or terrain
- Intuitive web interface – enabling real time access and control from anywhere at any time.
- Plug & Play technology – enabling easy, 3 minute installation by non-technical staff on any oil or gas site
- Choice of models – for pole, tank or bore, so you can use the same device with different mounts in different situations and achieve economies of scale
- Supply anywhere – through our global network of partners, you can access SatVUE smart technology for any of your oil or gas sites, anywhere in the world. Meet our partners.
Remote monitoring in agriculture & aquaculture
If your business is in crop or livestock farming or aquaculture, you know how many parameters need to be monitored to ensure the health of your primary-producing assets. A key one is water stock management and water quality monitoring, but there are many others:
Water Stock Management (Level / Flow / Rainfall)
- Tanks, dams, turkey nests
- Water bores
- Livestock drinking troughs
- Irrigation channels
Water quality monitoring
- Temperature, pH, conductivity, dissolved oxygen, salinity
- Contaminants, turbidity, micro-organisms
- Chlorides, sulphates, phosphates and other metals
- Temperature, relative humidity and air pressure
- Rainfall, hail or snow
- Wind speed and direction
- Dew Point and Heat Index
- Wind chill.
- Moisture and salinity
- Chlorides, sulphates, phosphates and other metals
- Ionising radiation or radioactive substances.
Monitoring for abnormal water usage including:
- Power and Generators
- Water levels
- Flow Levels
- Line and pump pressure
- Cathodic protection (corrosion)
- Faulty valves
- Feed levels
- Windmill speed
The challenge of monitoring agriculture or aquaculture in remote locations
Whether you have cattle in sprawling paddocks, a salmon farm in a remote valley or grapes on a distant slope, you won’t have time to check all these parameters manually, yet many require regular readings. You have a couple of options:
- Using unattended devices based on 3G or 4G communications – but these won’t help if you’re outside cell network coverage or there is no direct line of site between the device and the data collector
- Choosing bespoke devices – but these can be expensive to buy, difficult to reconfigure, hard to reconfigure if parameters change or you want to swap devices. They can also be costly to maintain.
The smart way to monitor in remote locations
SatVUE is a compact, robust, low-cost device, developed by Pacific Data Systems specifically for remote monitoring. For water quality and other monitoring In agriculture and aquaculture, SatVUE offers unique benefits:
- Robust design – ideal in extreme hot or cold, wet, dry or dust, assuring continuous operation
- Plug & Play technology – enabling fast installation by any farm personnel
- A single flexible device – which can be used for multiple purposes, with easy configuration for each
- Flexible mounting options – so you can choose the mounting for each location, and take advantage of economies of scale
- Choice of power source – solar or battery power so data collection and analysis are uninterrupted.
SatVUE has practical benefits too, making it the simple choice for agriculture or aquaculture monitoring in remote locations:
- Preset triggers – to send alerts or initiate actions like shutting off a pump, without having to go to site.
- Satellite communications via the Inmarsat IsatDataPro global network, assuring continuous monitoring regardless of 3G/4g coverage, terrain or weather
- Intuitive web interface – giving you direct access to data and reports, and control of your SatVUE devices on site, all the time
- Availability anywhere – through our global network of partners, you can access SatVUE smart technology for your agriculture or aquaculture farm anywhere. Meet our partners.
Read about real world customer successes with SatVUE. Below are just a few:
- Pasture legume trials increase pasture & livestock productivity.
- Remote monitoring expands business opportunites for established diesel engine reconditioning specialists.
- Improving Safety Procedures for Flow Measurement of V-notch Weirs.
- Prominent Australian Beef Cattle Producer Saves on Livestock Water Supply.
- Consultant helps mining company cut remote monitoring costs by 80%.
- Pipeline integrity tester cuts costs & sharpens competitive edge.
- Mining company assures compliance with lower cost & risk.
- Government compliance for underground bores.
* Some of our clients have asked for names to be changed for privacy reasons but are available for reference. Please contact us.